Saturday, February 16, 2013

MY PMP Journey

Why do you need a PMP certification when becoming a project manager is natural progression in Indian IT industry...that's the question came to my mind when I heard about PMP.When I gave it
a thought it was more to take that first step towards building that self belief, discipline and a routine in my life which I wanted to inculcate.What has changed after becoming a PMP is a different story, it surely gives you all the tools of project management and I will suggest it to anyone interested in project management.

The following are my Tips/lessons learned for anyone interested in taking PMP certification:

1st step would be to join the googlegroup which according to me was great help in providing information,free sessions by members and loads of lesssons learned from PMP certified professionals.Good thing about it is that it motivates you on the successes,mistakes of other's and keeps you on track. But beware you get lots of emails daily from hundreds of active test takers.

Google group name to subscribe to : pmp-cert-online-study-group@googlegroups.com

Duration of preparation: ~ 3 months

Attended 35 hrs of classroom PMP prep. from my own organisation and it was my 2nd time.I met many people who have gone through the mandatory 35hrs training but havent completed the certification. The best motivation can be filling the exam application and submitting the $405 for the test.

Books referred:
1. Pmbok (Read 3 times)
2. Rita Mulcahy (2 times)
3. Headfirst (Multiple times)
4. Andy Crowe (1 time)

Though the no. of times of books read look daunting once you get into that groove you'll lose count. Headfirst is really an interesting book and is one of the best book to start your PMP preparation.I plan to keep the book for my future reference and in case I need guidance during PM related issues.

No. of hours invested: Close to 2 hours everyday (Strictly morning 5.30Am onwards till my son wakes up)
Whenever I got the chance I appeared for online exams in the office as it was mostly calm,peaceful at my side of the cubicle.

Questions and mock exams attended:

No. of mock exams attended: 3 (200 questions)

Questions: Rita Mulcahy,Headfirst,Andy Crowe

Other online questions: Tried all the hard question banks available at the bottom of the following link:
http://www.oliverlehmann.com/pmp-self-test/75-free-questions.htm

Mock test taking strategy:

1. Dont just attend the questions and forget them.Keep a note and write down all your weak areas
2. If you are answering questions from the book, mark each question which you are not sure for future reference
3. Know your own weak areas and improve upon them ( For me quality, risk & HR tools were weak areas)

The following I referred before couple of days of the exam:

1. All my notes with the concepts, tools, weak areas and questions I had doubts (So when in doubt dont forget to mark questions)
2. PMzilla Rakesh Nair notes were helpful for the last minute important points (http://pmzilla.com/comprehensive-pmp-notes)

On the day of the exam:
I reached the exam hall almost 45 mins before the scheduled time and I made sure I had a good night sleep ready to endure the 4 hrs long exam.
1. Took deep breaths just to calm down the anxiety, adrenaline rush before the exam...it really helps 
2. Wrote all the formulae on the scratch paper during the first 15mins
3. First few questions were tough so I answered them and "Marked' them for review at the end
4. Took a break at 1.5 hrs as I couldnt concentrate on the wordy questions anymore
5. Marked all the questions whenever I was in doubt
6. Finished all the 200 questions 12 mins before the stipulated time
7. Went through some Marked questions but I didnt change any of them

Exam questions:
1. Questions were really lengthy and it's easy to lose focus.So mock exams with hard questions are the key.
2. Questions were mostly situational and how you apply PM tools,concepts to it.
3. Very few direct questions and answers seen in the regular mock tests.
4. Understand how each input,tools & outputs can be used in your projects.Memorisation doesnt help much unless you got the actual concept.

After a brief survey the screen said "congratulations" and rest of the screen just blurred as I was transported to some other world !!!

So a dream, all the hard work and sacrifices were worth this moment.
A big Thank you to all those who shared,motivated and sacrificed for this achievement.
I hope it helps. Please email me in case you have queries or need info.

3 comments:

  1. Very well done, Sambit.. Congrats.. Nice narration of your whole experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your PMP journey.

    ReplyDelete